This Provençal white onion pizza is my new favourite thing to eat. Based on heart loving olive oils, olives and omega 3 fatty acid rich anchovies, you can enjoy this dish cold, warm or hot from an oven. It’s perfect as an appetizer or equally filling as a main with a green salad.
All you need is sun and you might just have created your very own sunny and ‘healthy’ pizza. Onions are rich in flavonoids, compounds with biological activity and antioxidant properties. Epidemiological observations and clinical studies show positive and protective effects of flavonoids in cardiovascular health, as quoted in a recent Polish study in January this year.
Other foods that are rich in flavonoids include berries, cherries, red grapes, apples, cocoa and tea (especially green tea).
Here’s a recipe suggestion for this gorgeous little pizza, yet minus the cheese and screams summer. This deserves a tick for heart health.
1kg red or white onions, sliced
6 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 salted anchovy fillets, rinsed
10 black olives, halved and stoned
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
2. Place the onions, garlic and 4 chopped anchovy fillets with the oil into a pan. Cover and cook over a low heat until the onions have softened. This may take up to 10-15 minutes.
3. Uncover, then stir the onions until they begin to colour. Stir continuously for a further 10 minutes until they begin to turn a dark golden colour. Tip - You can add a pinch of sugar if you wish.
4. Roll out pastry dough of your choice to fit an 8 inch tin. Prick it well then cover with the onion and garlic mixture.
5. Decorate with the remaining anchovies and olives.
6. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the onions are a rich golden colour and you have a gorgeous crispy base.
Save a slice for lunch the next day. Also delicious cold and is a yummy combo with a fresh fruit salad.
This particular wild fresh fruit salad has 12 different fruits.
Can you guess the ingredients?
Yes you really will find 12 different fruits in this salad!