Thursday 2 August 2012

A Local British Perspective To Running Marathons

Pin It Now!

If you are feeling sleek, clever and well read on the topic of marathons, just wait till you've read this British runner's perspective on running a marathon.  



What Inspires You To Run?
I enjoy the feeling of keeping fit. There is a buzz when the training hurts and a great relief when you stop. Plus it is so much easier to keep fit than get fit. I also like the feeling that I’m able to say 'I’m as fit now as I was when I was 25!'

What's the role of nutrition in your training?
Food is very important. You can’t train to 100% if you haven’t got the energy reserves to back it up.  If you over eat then you are reducing the effect of the exercise you do. Although saying this there is an element to my life where I don’t have to watch what I eat or drink as I always know that I can burn it off later in the gym or on a run.

Any examples of how nutrition enhances your training?
Strong coffee!  For example an espresso before a 10km run does tend to make the start quicker or at least wakes me up. Training for longer runs are helped by carbohydrates such as  pasta.  Be careful not to overdo it.

What do you tend to eat when you train?
Breakfast = 2 slices toast with butter & marmite
Lunch = ham sandwich, crisps and an apple
Dinner = rice with chicken and vegetables and a beer

What's your favourite recipe?
My wife makes this delicious dry chicken curry. I can’t tell you how to prepare it but it’s got, potatoes, chicken and Indian spices in it!

What did you eat the day before the big day?
Pasta for lunch and again for my evening meal with a plain tomato sauce.

Breakfast on the day of the marathon was...?
Weetabix, toasted crumpets with butter and a couple of bananas.

Did you take any supplements?
During the race I took carbohydrate running gels but not during training.  I believe that you need to get your body 'used' to being low on energy.

Did you aim for a certain amount of carbs per day?
I don't count carbohydrates but I am aware that if I am going to be doing a lot of training then I need to eat more.


What top 3 tips would you like to share?
  • Use running gels on long races but make sure that you find the right one for you as there are many different types.
  • Keep hydrated even during training as it helps with recovery i.e. sore muscles
  • Watch how much beer you drink as they are 'wasted' calories.


How long did it take for you to complete the marathon?
My time was 3 hours and 38 minutes which I was disappointed with as I was aiming for 3 hours and 15 minutes.  This was my third marathon, so I didn't get any sponsorship this time.


Lovely readers if you have tips to share on running marathons, then please do comment below. I love and do take time to read all of your comments.