Friday 17 August 2012

Under The Sun: Grown Up Mediterranean Inspired Salad

Pin It Now!

It's been absolutely beautiful today!  The glorious sun is out and I feel like I am under the Mediterranean sun.  A little far fetched perhaps, but I am feeling inspired and refreshed after a healthy dose of natural vitamin D.  

The beach may be the perfect place to lap up the sun, but if you live in London like me, the park may be the closest that you will get to nature.  Days like today, you may decide to celebrate with an easy salad.  Sensible option too if you've got salad ingredients that have yet to be used up in your fridge!  

There really is nothing quite so delicious as a statement salad.  The salad that screams health, vitamins and minerals, a bit of fibre, heart loving fats, calcium and the list really is endless.

So let's get started.  For me, deep red vitamin C loaded tomatoes still on its vine called out my name so that settled it, a salad was definitely going to be my single most desired object for the day.  Well, until I fall in love with the next best thing of course.

Colourful salad ingredients such as tomatoes or juicy sun dried tomatoes drenched in olive oil can unite even the most sorry looking salad greens that have been waiting patiently to be used up.

For this effortless salad recipe, I used baby spinach which I love (and I felt that I should anyway as I found a rather large unopened bag! Oops, I'd forgotten about it).  


Ingredients
Large handful of baby spinach
1 buffalo mozzarella, diced 
2 - 3 large deep red tomatoes, quartered (or smaller)
5 sundried tomatoes, halved
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 tablespoon nuts 
Freshly cracked black pepper


Method
In a large bowl assemble all of the above ingredients together.  Use 1 - 2 tablespoons of the olive oil from the jar that the sun dried tomatoes were preserved in and drizzle over the salad.  

Serve straight from the bowl with wholegrain breads. I used cashew nuts today but walnuts could be another useful choice for essential fats.  

For a further colour jolt, consider adding red onions and orange peppers.  

For more information on Mediterranean Diets see How To Beat The Monday Blues On A Mediterranean Diet.

Now all I need is the sun to linger, sea and sand.  Enjoy your weekend lovely readers!