Oats, orange juice, orange zest, mango puree and a sprinkle of mixed spice will turn muffins from a treat food to an everyday incredibly low fat breakfast muffin.
This delicious breakfast option at 89 calories per muffin have only a gram of fat. They are breakfast muffins after all, therefore there is very little added sugar. If you prefer, I recommend serving these with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of soft brown sugar. Breakfast is served!
1 cup jumbo oats
1 cup semi-skimmed milk
1 heaped teaspoon egg replacer
Pinch of xanthum gum (less than 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 cup mango puree
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup fine polenta flour
1/2 cup plain gluten free flour
1/4 cup sugar
21/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon almond essence
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
2. In a small bowl, mix the oats, milk, egg replacer, xanthum gum, mango puree and orange zest. Allow to soak for 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flours and remaining ingredients (except for the almond essence).
4. Gradually mix the dry ingredients with the oat and milk mixture.
5. Finally add almond essence, mix well and portion into 12 muffin cases.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Yield = 12 muffins
Nutrition information = 89 calories per muffin, 1g fat (10% fat), 17g carbohydrate, 2g protein
These breakfast muffins are wheat, gluten, egg and soy free. They are not milk free, but you can substitute the milk with almond milk.
To lower the fat content of these muffins, try baking with skimmed milk.
What do you think lovely readers? Please do comment below, I love hearing from you!
If you enjoyed reading this post, then why not SHARE with a TWEET or a LIKE on facebook? Thank you very much.
Did you know that you can also subscribe to receive these posts directly into your inbox? Simply enter your email address into the 'Follow By Email' which is next to the facebook badge.