Boost your anti-aging potential with this gorgeous Mediterranean inspired smoked haddock dish. This heart healthy meal is so good for you because it combines lovely monounsaturated fats from olive oil, whilst boasting a modest amount of omega-3 fatty acids from the delicately flavoured haddock. For further information on the benefits of fish read A Fishy Bite - Eat It For Youthful Skin.
I was keen to dress this recipe up so that you also had the option of using this for a saturday lunch party. This is perfect for such occasions as the recipe is quick and easy, which means that besides being a 'healthy' host, you also get to be the perfect host by actually engaging with your guests in conversation instead of lathering up a mountain of dishes.
After last night's post Are You A Sugar Addict? I was keen to advocate carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index and hence why I chose both sweet potato and basmati rice for this dish. By using smoked fish and ham, there was no need to use stock for this recipe.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small red onions, cut into thin wedges
650g sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
1 large courgette, sliced then cut into quarters
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
1 cup Italian wine
2 cups water
350g smoked haddock fillets
120g smoked gammon steak, chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon spring onions, sliced into fine rings
- Heat a tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan, then add the red onions. Cook over a low flame and allow the onions to soften.
- Add the sweet potato and courgettes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the rice and allow to be coated in the oil.
- Next add 1 cup of water and allow to simmer. As the water begins to get absorbed, pour in the wine.
- Add the gammon pieces and add the haddock fillets on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- If you need further water to cook the rice, add the final cup of water.
- The meal is ready when all of the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- This is optional, but if you are not requiring a milk free meal, stir in 1 - 2 tablespoons of mascarpone before serving.
This meal is delicious with a salad inclusive of tomatoes, cucumbers and salad leaves.
Enjoy this Meditarranean themed Monday dinner meal idea. What do you enjoy eating on Monday nights in? Do comment below, I love hearing from you!
Please feel free to SHARE this post with a TWEET or a LIKE on facebook.